You will need:
- 300ml whole milk
- 7g fast acting yeast
- 10g golden caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- Non-stick crumpet/egg rings
To make the homemade crumpets:
- Warm the milk and sugar to hand temperature, pour into a large bowl or jug, sprinkle over the yeast and add the flour, mixing to a thick batter. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes dissolve the salt in 75ml of warm water and add the cider vinegar, whisk this into the batter, mixing well, cover and rest for a further 30 minutes.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat, grease the pan with vegetable oil, wiping any excess with kitchen roll, use this to grease some non-stick rings and place them in the pan.
- Pour in batter up to two thirds of the depth of the ring and cook for 8-10 minutes keeping a close eye on the heat to ensure the bases do not brown too quickly.
- Once ready to flip the tops should have formed small holes, flip and cook for a further 2 minutes removing to a cooling rack once done.
- Enjoy warm with butter and a selection of Cartwright & Butler Preserves.