Lemon & Raspberry Polenta Cake
You will need:
2lb loaf tin (approx. 21.5 x 11 x 7cm), greased and lined
150g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
150g caster sugar
180g ground almonds
85g fine polenta
1 tsp baking powder
2 large free-range eggs
For the lemon syrup:
25ml boiling water
For the ricotta topping:
150ml double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
250g ricotta cheese
100g fresh raspberries
To make the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the almonds, polenta, baking powder and eggs until all the ingredients are well combined and a thick batter has formed.
4. Finely grate in the zest of the lemon along with the juice.
5. Whisk together all the ingredients before pouring into the pre-greased and lined loaf tin.
6. Bake in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes until golden and cooked through.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
8. Loosen the lemon curd with boiling water to create a lemon syrup.
9. Using a thin skewer, over the syrup allowing to soak in.
10. When the cake is completely cool, carefully remove from the tin and place on a servin plate.
11. Make the ricotta topping by whipping together the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence to soft peaks.
12. Gradually fold in the ricotta to incorporate all the ingredients.
13. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
14. When ready to serve, generously spoon the ricotta mixture on top of the cake.
15. Scatter with raspberries and drizzle on the lemon curd (gentle warm in the microwave to loosen).