Marmalade Hot Cross Buns
You will need:
For the starter:
- 20g sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fast action yeast
- 280ml warm milk
- 140g wholemeal flour
- 3 tbsp Cartwright & Butler Marmalade
For the dough:
- 310g strong white flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g butter, softened
- 35g sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 150g sultanas
- 80g raisins
- 3 tbsp Cartwright & Butler Orange Juice
- For the cross mix
- 50g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 50ml water
For the glaze:
- 4 tbsp Cartwright & Butler Marmalade
To make the buns:
- Put the raisins and sultanas in a small pan with the orange juice bring to a simmer and then turn off and allow to soak for at least a couple of hours, overnight is ideal.
- Prepare the ferment by dissolving the yeast in the warm milk and stirring through the marmalade until dissolved. Mix this into the flour and sugar. Leave to rise for about an hour.
- Add the dough ingredients to the ferment and knead or mix in a standing mixer with the dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth, elastic comes away from the side of the bowl or stops sticking to your hands. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain the raisins and sultanas of excess orange juice and then knead them into the dough gently, taking care not to break up the fruit. If using the standing mixer, mix the fruit in on the lowest speed and finish off by kneading by hand.
- Cover and leave the dough to prove in a warm place until doubled in size – at least an hour.
- Turn it out gently onto lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 even pieces (about 75g each), shape into tight balls and place on baking trays lined with parchment, spaced about 5cm apart.
- Place the trays in large plastic bags, inflate, tie the ends and leave to rise for about an hour, until the buns are almost touching each other.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Make the cross mix – beat all the ingredients together in a bowl with a spoon. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe crosses on the buns.
- Put the trays into the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until well browned – except for the crosses. Transfer to a wire rack on the parchment.
- Heat up 4 tbsp of marmalade in a small pan. Brush onto the buns to glaze whilst still warm. Allow to cool.