Cook: 30 minutes - 1 hour
You will need
- Cartwright & Butler Gingerbread Honey
- Cartwright & Butler Gingerbread Fudge
- 90g salted butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g soft light brown sugar
- 2 free range eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 100g milk chocolate
Chocolate Gingerbread Madeleines
By Kate Tynan of Little Button Bakery (littlebuttonbakery.co.uk)
These are delicious with a hot chocolate and also make a great gift popped into a mason jar and tied with ribbon.
- Cut the butter into cubes and melt in a small bowl in the microwave – approx. 40 seconds. Leave to cool.
- Put the caster sugar, light brown sugar, 30g of the Gingerbread honey and the eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer (you can use a hand mixer if you don’t have one).
- Whisk for approximately 5 minutes until pale and fluffy and slightly thickened.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and spices.
- Add the flour to the sugar mixture a few spoonfuls at a time and carefully fold in with a spatula.
- Then add the melted butter and carefully fold in.
- Grease a Madeleine tin with butter (you can use a jam tart tin if you do not have one).
- Cut some of the fudge in half and then half again to make rectangular sticks.
- Add a tablespoon of mixture to each cavity.
- Pop in a piece of the fudge.
- Put the Madeleine tin in the fridge for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (fan assisted) with an empty baking tray inside.
- After at least 30 minutes and when the oven has reached temperature, put the Madeline tin on the hot baking tray inside the oven. This should create a thermal shock to give the signature Madeleine ‘hump’ on the back.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges have started to brown.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- While the Madeleines are cooling, melt the milk chocolate in a cup in the microwave in 30 second bursts on half power – stir between each burst.
- Dip the Madeleines into the melted chocolate and grate over some of the Gingerbread fudge.
- Delicious served with a Cartwright & Butler milk hot chocolate!