Cook: 8 - 10 minutes
You will need
- 300ml whole milk
- 7g fast acting yeast
- 10g golden caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- Non-stick crumpet/egg rings
To make the homemade crumpets:
1) Warm the milk and sugar to hand temperature, pour into a large bowl or jug, sprinkle over the yeast and add the flour, mixing to a thick batter. Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes.
2) After 30 minutes dissolve the salt in 75ml of warm water and add the cider vinegar, whisk this into the batter, mixing well, cover and rest for a further 30 minutes.
3) Heat a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat, grease the pan with vegetable oil, wiping any excess with kitchen roll, use this to grease some non-stick rings and place them in the pan.
4) Pour in batter up to two thirds of the depth of the ring and cook for 8-10 minutes keeping a close eye on the heat to ensure the bases do not brown too quickly.
5) Once ready to flip the tops should have formed small holes, flip and cook for a further 2 minutes removing to a cooling rack once done.
6) Enjoy warm with butter and a selection of Cartwright & Butler Preserves.