Cranberry & Orange Scones
We love to play with different recipes for scones – they’re so quick and easy to bake and make the perfect stand-by for impromptu visits from family and friends. The cranberries do need to soak for an hour in orange juice, but this gives you just enough time for a quick whizz round with the vacuum and duster!
To make 12 – 15 scones
350g self-raising flour
85g caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
60g dried cranberries
175ml Greek-style yoghurt
Egg or milk to brush the scones
To make the scones
- 1. Grate the zest from the orange and set aside
- 2. Squeeze the juice from the orange and add the cranberries. Leave to soak for 1 hour
- 3. Preheat the oven to 200˚C / 180˚C for fan assisted ovens / Gas Mark 6 and grease a large baking sheet
- 4. Leaving aside a teaspoon or two of the flour to mix with the fruit, mix the sugar with the flour then rub in the butter until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs
- 5. Mix the cranberries and orange zest together with the remaining flour and stir into the mix
- 6. Make a well in the centre and add the yoghurt. Mix to form a soft dough then knead briefly on a floured surface
- 7. Press or roll out the dough to a thickness of 2cm then cut into scones using a cutter, dipping the cutter into flour to stop the dough sticking and place the scones onto the baking sheet
- 8. Mix one beaten egg with a splash of water to make an egg wash or just use milk alone, then brush the tops of the scones. Be careful not to let the wash run over sides as this affects the rising of the scones
- 9. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen
- 10. Set onto a wire rack to cool
Best served warm with oodles of clotted cream and Cartwright & Butler Winter Preserve.
Top Tip: Use the base scone recipe to create any flavour. For a plain scone, omit the fruit and add 1 tsp vanilla extract. Lemon zest and raisins make a lovely combination; chocolate drops and orange oil will please the whole family whilst adding a little cinnamon, nutmeg and clove will give a truly Christmassy feel.